National Preparedness Month
Annapolis Water Damage
The act of being prepared took on new meaning this year as the coronavirus pandemic challenged every part of our lives. In the beginning, the basic necessities we take for granted became scarce quickly, shining a spotlight on the need to be prepared in the event of an emergency. September is National Preparedness Month (NPM).
Click here to register to receive emergency notifications from Anne Arundel County. This year for National Preparedness Month, join your community in preparing for emergencies and disasters of all types. Click here for more information on what’s happening in Anne Arundel County this month.
Recently, SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore worked with a business that suffered property damage due to a recent heavy rain event. The sewage backup was caused by a county sewer line.
Water from sewer system backups should be considered dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination.
Sewage backup should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. We are the water damage restoration specialists with specific training and expertise to safely restore your home or business.
What is Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned?
Well 2020 has been a roller coaster to say the least. Consumers are concerned about their health and count on your business to be cleaner than their homes. Is your business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned?
A recent study conducted by SERVPRO Industries revealed the following:
- Consumers expect your business to be cleaner than their home. (71% expect businesses to have higher cleanliness standards than respondents do in their own homes.)
- If you aren’t clean, your business will suffer great damage to its reputation. (76% say the way a business addresses cleanliness during COVID is a good indicator of how well that business is run in general.)
- This is the start of a new era for cleanliness and businesses. (73% say they are going to be more attuned to cleanliness once COVID is over.)
- Customer concerns about COVID are not going away any time soon. (68% are constantly thinking about avoiding COVID exposure when out in public.)
- All else being equal (product, price, service, convenience) customers trust businesses that are professionally cleaned over ones that self-clean. (64% are more likely to choose to shop at the store that has a decal stating the store has been professionally cleaned.)
- Surface cleaning remains a significant concern. (59% are worried about COVID exposure from touching surfaces that have not been sufficiently cleaned.)
Is your staff meeting these high cleaning standards? Is your cleaning service meeting them? At SERVPRO of Pasadena / Gibson Island / Lake Shore we have implemented the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program to ensure businesses can operate safely and proactively during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are committed to bringing a deeper level of clean to your business.
What is involved in COVID-19 Cleanup?
SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore professionals are trained in adhering to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards. Our team is being called by numerous business owners and community leaders to perform necessary bioremediation services to clean, disinfect, and sanitize their facilities.
The CDC is responding to an outbreak of a respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). You can read more about the disease by clicking here.
SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore cleaning procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porus surfaces, sanitize of non-porous surfaces, cleaning of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for the cleanup process, and disposal of waste.
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims.
SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore offers commercial cleaning services including the removal of biohazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business.
Summer Fire Pit Safety
According to The Spruce, the second most requested outdoor feature in landscape design is a fire pit. Fire pits are functional and fun, but can be dangerous if not used properly.
Did you know you should alert your insurance provider about your fire pit?
If you need ideas on firepits, SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore, check out these ideas from Diamond Decks.
Need a fire pit party idea? Click here for some fun ideas.
Unfortunately, fire pits can also be very dangerous. Here are 5 quick tips to keep you, your property, and your family safe:
- Make sure the fire pit is, at minimum, 10 feet away from any structure or neighboring yard—25 feet is preferable.
- Make sure the ground or surface is even to reduce the risk of fire escaping beyond your fire pit.
- Avoid using your fire pit on windy days, since flames or embers can spread to your home, yard and nearby trees.
- Make sure guests maintain a proper distance and don’t exhibit risky behavior. Keep close tabs on children and pets.
- Once you extinguish your fire with water, gently stir and spread the ashes to cool. Leave only when they’re cool to the touch.
Click here to read some additional tips on fire pit safety.
SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore hopes you have a safe and enjoyable time around your fire pit!
Eliminating Microbes and Odor from Water Damage
SERVPRO of Pasadena / Gibson Island / Lake Shore knows how to get you back to normal in no time when you have flood/storm water damage in your Pasadena home or business. Don’t let a flood in your Pasadena property get you down! We will be there to help 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
There are many potential issues left behind after flood water enters and damages your home. Once the water enters, the damage begins almost immediately and compounds from there. Flood water is never clean and often has toxins, sludge, and sewage.
SERVPRO of Pasadena / Gibson Island / Lake Shore technicians understand the importance of testing the Annapolis, Maryland flood waters. The tests will point them in the right direction so they can properly apply chemical treatments to neutralize different types of bacteria and microbes correctly.? We use moisture meters to detect moisture in materials.
Moisture Supports Microbial Growth
The removal of moisture is crucial in stopping the spread and growth of harmful bacteria and microbes. Mold spores germinate quickly, and colonies spread unless dealt with swiftly. Because the technicians hold IICRC certifications, they know the early warning signs. Technicians use a combination of extraction and dehumidification to remove moist air and replace it with warm, dry air. The use of air movers works to pull moisture up and out of walls and flooring and used in tandem with dehumidifiers.
When water damage is the problem in your home, contact SERVPRO of Pasadena / Gibson Island / Lake Shore as soon as possible. The technicians will arrive quickly and clean up the mess along with offering their reconstruction services.
SERVPRO of Pasadena / Gibson Island / Lake Shore will make the incident "Like it never even happened."
Can Outdoor Grills Cause Fire Damage?
Recently, SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore provided fire mitigation services to an Annapolis homeowner after a grill caught fire in their screened in porch. The fire was quickly extinguished by the homeowner, but the flames, smoke, and extinguisher already caused damage.
Outdoor grills should be at least 10 feet away from your home whether it’s a charcoal or gas grill. It’s a common mistake to think you can grill using a small grill in a garage or screened-in porch.
Did you know that grills release carbon monoxide (a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly)?
As Summer is now if full swing, stay safe. Keep the grill outdoors and a safe distance from your home.
If your home gets fire or soot damage from your grill, call the fire mitigation specialists at SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore. We can help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Where is the Water Coming From?
We get these calls all the time. Help! There’s water all over my basement. Or, there’s water coming from my ceiling. It doesn’t matter if it’s 1:00 in the afternoon or 1:00 in the morning, but water causes damage to your property when it wants to, especially in Pasadena, Maryland.
SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore sees water damage mostly from:
- Ice-Maker Water Line. This is the water line that connects to your refrigerator to provide cold water and ice.
- Toilet. Whether it’s a sewage backup or broken pipe, we often get calls to clean dirty water from bathrooms.
- Storm. Basement sump pumps often experience problems during rain, thunderstorms, and hurricanes.
- Roof. Most homeowners don’t know they have problems with their roof until water is coming from their ceiling.
The first step to resolving the water problem is to determine what is causing the intrusion. Call us at (410) 255-1110, 24 hours a day/7 days a week. We will help you stop the flow of water immediately, and SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore can mitigate and restore your property. We will make it "Like it never even happened."
How Quickly Can Water Cause Permanent Damage to My Pasadena Home?
Storm water damage in basement
Storm water damage does not wait for resolution patiently. It has a destructive timetable that is as predictable for water restoration professionals as it is devastating for Pasadena homeowners. Some of the damage occurs just minutes to hours after the water event, and the severity of the consequences increases exponentially. Experts recommend contacting water restoration professionals immediately after the discovery of a water loss to arrange for swift removal of the damaging fluids and application of the industry’s best practices supporting structural drying.
How Fast Damage Occurs
First minutes to a few hours
- Documents, pictures, books, and other papers become soggy, with pages weakening and sticking together, bindings and glues loosening, inks spreading, and images blurring.
- Stain, varnish, and paints can transfer from wooden furniture legs and supports to carpeting, rugs, and floors.
- Textiles stretch or shrink, depending on composition, and dyes can run and stain adjacent surfaces.
- Electronics and electrical cords short out and expose occupants to the risk of shock.
Up to 24 hours
- Pressed wood and particle board furniture and supports swell and warp.
- Hardwood frames on furniture swell and distort.
- Metal fasteners tarnish.
- Drywall and ceiling tiles bulge and begin to crumble, increasing personal safety and property damage risk when significant quantities of collected water force a structural breakdown.
- Insulation compresses, packing down between walls.
- Carpets stretch and become prone to rips and delamination.
- Laminate flooring peels and disintegrates.
48-72 hours to a week
- Mold growth commences on all surfaces and contents.
- Water quality deteriorates, with pathogen growth possible.
- Door and window frames swell, preventing security issues due to improper closure.
- Metals corrode, and fasteners break down.
- Hardwood floors cup or crown, and planks or strips can buckle, pulling up from the subfloor.
7 days or more
- Structural supports can fail.
- Molds, mildews, and other hazards proliferate, affecting air quality and infecting surfaces.
When you notice water in your home, call the water restoration professionals, SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore. We have over 40 years’ experience and we can make it “Like it never even happened.”
What Does Reopening Your Business Look Like?
Certified SERVPRO Clean
SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore has been sanitizing facilities that are getting ready to reopen. From restaurants to retail locations, business owners are following guidelines set forth by our local government. We keep hearing, “It’s time to reopen.”
Since the beginning of the pandemic, SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore has been working with our local officials to insure the proactive cleaning and sanitizing of many facilities throughout Anne Arundel County. We’ve worked in schools, government facilities, as well as general office spaces.
On Monday, May 18, Anne Arundel County Executive Stuart Pittman provided us with guidelines for reopening. Since then, we’ve received numerous requests to sanitize different commercial properties. Click here to read more about our COVID-19 cleaning process.
Take a look at how Zachary’s Jewelers plans to reopen.
SERVPRO of Pasadena/Gibson Island/Lake Shore professionals are uniquely prepared during this unprecedented time to clean and disinfect your business according to the protocols set forth by the CDC. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis. We are cleaning experts.
How Do Businesses Handle Cleaning Due to Coronavirus?
As businesses have settled into the new normal of telework, and essential work environments, they also implement new cleaning practices. SERVPRO of Pasadena / Gibson Island / Lake Shore has extensive experience with bio-remediation cleanup. This is something our team has done for over 40 years.
The question is, how does your local small business handle Coronavirus cleanup and sanitization?
As small business owners in Anne Arundel County, there are many resources to help you understand the COVID-19 virus. It’s important to understand the virus so you can make a plan for regular cleaning and sanitization. Click here for more information on Coronavirus in our community.
The county has many regulations regarding which businesses can reopen and how essential businesses are operating. Click here to review those guidelines.
The most important factor of opening your business is keeping your employees healthy and safe. The way you do that is by following the Anne Arundel County’s Health Department Compliance Notice. This includes cleaning and sanitizing between shifts.
However you choose to operate your business, SERVPRO of Pasadena / Gibson Island / Lake Shore is here to help. If you have questions or would like an estimate on proactive sanitization, including our fogging procedure, please feel free to contact us.